Schalkenbosch was established in the mid to late 1700′s when Bernadus De Vaal retired from his position as reader/teacher in Tulbagh. The main house which was built in Cape Dutch style and completed in 1792 has been proclaimed a national monument. The gable, as well as the yellow and stinkwood wall-cupboard in the voorkamer, are both featured in South Africa’s record of architectural heritage.
Schalkenbosch Estate is made up of four neighbouring farms, Schalkenbosch, Edenhof, Sagtevlei and Delta which cover an area of approximately 2500 hectares. The farming operations include, cattle, orchards of apricots and prunes, fields of lavender, wheat and barley and the vineyards on Schalkenbosch itself.
Quality wine is produced in the modern cellar behind the main homestead and is mostly exported to the German and Swedish markets.